What is a Coworking Membership Agreement?
A Coworking Membership Agreement is a contract that outlines the terms and conditions for membership of a Coworking Space.
This contract is perfect for flexible office space where members share the workplace and facilities and do not have exclusive possession of the premises. Members only use part of the premises.
Coworking is NOT the same as a lease or sublease, but it offers many advantages, including flexibility, a community atmosphere and a shorter contract term with lower overheads.
Who can use this template?
- Coworking Space
- Shared Workspace
- Open Office
- Work Hub
- Executive Centre
Do I need a contract?
Yes, we definitely recommend you use a proper contract if you’re running a coworking space!
It’s essential to manage a coworking membership properly so that you protect your premises, your members and your reputation.
Setting out clear guidelines in a contract will make things easier for you and your members.
Contracts are about more than wrapping your members up in red tape and telling them what they can’t do. Think of your contract as relationship insurance: it does all the hard, boring work of keeping the relationship on rails so that you can focus on the fun part – the actual community.
Other names for a Coworking Membership Agreement
- Coworking Agreement
- Coworking Licence Agreement
- Coworking Terms & Conditions
- Shared Office Space Agreement
What does this Coworking Membership Agreement template include?
Our Coworking Membership Agreement template covers everything you need:
- Nature of this Agreement -makes it clear that this is not a lease
- Your Use of The Premises – how members can use the coworking space
- Access to Services – services included in the membership package
- Guests – rules for inviting guests into the coworking space
- Membership Fees – payment terms
- Compliance – code of conduct and rules that members must abide by
- Term – length of the agreement
- Termination – how either party can terminate the agreement
- Our Liability – limitation of liability clause to protect your business interests
- Your Liability – member liability for damage or losses
- Insurance – required insurance to be held by members
- Equipment – any equipment that is permitted or restricted
- Notices – how notices can be sent and received
- Governing Law – the governing law for the agreement
- General – legal terms
- Acceptance – how members can accept the agreement
Is a Coworking Agreement the same as a Lease?
The short answer is no. There are several key differences between the two:
Tenant has exclusive right to occupy the premises
Fixed-term (often several years)
High upfront costs
Can fit out the space to design a unique look and feel
Shared office space
Flexible membership (often month-to-month)
No upfront costs
Can’t change the look and feel of the space
Access to shared facilities
Coworking actually takes the form of a Licence which allows members to use only part of the premises.
Is this Coworking Membership Agreement template legally binding?
All of our templates have been drafted by qualified Australian lawyers who hold an Australian legal practicing certificate.
We are affiliated with a commercial law firm based in Sydney.